Conversations With Friends

I’m so confused by this book. I didn’t connect with the characters, at all. They are difficult to like or sympathize with, and for some reason, I feel the author created them this way intentionally. I struggled with rating this—but ultimately decided on three stars, due to the time, effort, and vision of the author.

The writing is unique and enough to pique my curiosity, yet it feels robotic and stilted. (Is this an intentional aspect, too?) I just can’t help feeling that, perhaps, I missed something. An integral point that makes me say, “Ooh…I get it!”

I realize characters should have flaws, but I’d hope they’d have virtues too. These characters puzzled me. The ‘friends’ aren’t what I define as friends. They are narcissistic and don’t really know who they are or reveal what they want.

I expected an emotional read, but it’s a fairly bleak book. Overall, I read fiction because I want to FEEL something. This book accomplished that, even though it made me feel little more than glum and frustrated.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

-->

Comments