The Picture Bride

 

The Picture Bride is an inspiring and stirring tale about three Korean women who came to the United states in the early 1900s and times were very difficult. Willow, and Songwha, and Hongju are difficult names for me to pronounce (or even sort through in my head) because I'm not familiar with the Korean language, but it made them feel all the more real.

I didn't know much about the Korean immigrants who had to start their lives over in Hawaii, but found this aspect of the story very interesting. My grandmother's family had a sugar plantation so the aspect of the families working on a sugar plantation was also very interesting to me personally.

I can't imagine going to a matchmaker to find a spouse like these women did, especially when the men were oftentimes much older... but then again, I live in a different time where things are easier and more accessible.

Comments